Make That Change
Change is good. It challenges you to improve yourself and break away from routine, and it keeps life fun and interesting.
Intellectually we all know this to be true, but often we fall victim to the same old thing. But a huge life shift for Darren and me–moving from the New York metro area to Boulder, Colorado–has allowed me to truly embrace the good that comes with change. We moved out of choice as we were seeking a change in lifestyle, but so many other positive changes have come as well.
- Unpacking and settling into a new home has kept us physically active all day long for many days on end. We fall into bed at night physically exhausted and sleep hard. A reminder that light physical activity all day long is good for body, mind and spirit.
- Being without cable and furniture broke us from our nightly TV-watching habit. Certainly, a welcome change.
- Reaching out and saying hello to new neighbors reminds us of the importance of being a part of a community.
- Putting work secondary to getting moved and settled has put our work/life balance into perspective.
- Settling into a new space and routine re-invigorated my daily meditation practice.
I share all of this with you to inspire you to make that change you’ve been wanting for yourself. Not everyone has a major geographical move or life change ahead of them to fall back on. However, we all are experiencing the start of summer and looking forward to less structured days and family vacations. Now is the perfect time to:
- Try a new outdoor sport or physical activity
- Cook family meals together
- Start a new hobby
- Find 15 minutes to spend alone with yourself each day
- Take a daily walk after dinner rather than watch TV
- Visit friends and family you haven’t seen for a while
Whatever it is that you’ve been wanting to do, try or change, now is the time. Make that change now and it can become a part of your regular routine by the time Labor Day hits and be integrated into your more hectic schedule.