As I mentioned in my previous post, and which many of you have gathered by now from other posts I’ve written, I believe the #1 dietary change you can make is eating more whole foods.
We have a tendency in this country of taking healthful, wholesome foods and processing them in every way, shape and form, thereby making them less healthful. Greek yogurt is one of these foods. We love Greek yogurt because it is loaded with protein, calcium and probiotics while also being thick, creamy and satisfying. However, refined sugars, alternative sweeteners and highly processed ingredients are often added to yogurt, which is exactly what we want to avoid when trying to improve eating habits.
So, I sent out a twitter request to my fellow registered dietitians to ask them their favorite ways to doctor up Greek yogurt without adding alternative sweeteners and refined, processed ingredients. Here are their yummy recommendations:
- Stir in natural peanut or almond butter, chunks of banana and shredded, unsweetened coconut – great for a satisfying breakfast, lunch or post workout meal
- Add chopped apples, raisins and walnuts – a hearty and satisfying breakfast or lunch
- Mix in cocoa powder (not Dutch processed with alkali), honey and shredded, unsweetened coconut – a healthy way to give in to a sweet tooth
- Stir in natural apple sauce with diced apples and ground cinnamon – great anytime of day
- Drizzle in honey or maple syrup – a simple way to sweeten yogurt as a snack
- Add a spoonful of natural jam – another simple way to sweeten yogurt for a snack
- Stir in shaved truffles and honey – a gourmet combination of savory and sweet flavors for anytime of day
- Mix in fresh pear slices and pomegranate seeds – a delicious snack of sweet and tangy flavors, which can also act as a healthy topping to pound cake
- Add fresh or thawed frozen blueberries with honey and cinnamon – also delicious as a snack or as a wholesome topping to pound cake
To help you enjoy your Greek yogurt naturally in 2012, we have partnered with Chobani to do a contest and giveaway of their multi-serve containers of 0% Plain, 0% Vanilla and 2% Plain varieties. Check out the Chobani Kitchen for delicious ideas for how to use Greek yogurt in your meals and recipes!
Win some Chobani!
Tell us your favorite ways to enjoy Greek yogurt and you could be selected to win 32 oz. containers of the Non-fat Plain, 2% Plain and Non-fat Vanilla yogurts. We are looking for your tastiest and healthiest yogurt mix-ins. If you won, how would you enjoy this delicious prize? Enter in the comments section below. Entries must be gluten free to be eligible.
Official Rules: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Participants must be 18 years or older to enter and live within the continental United States. Contest will start on Thursday January 5, 2012 and will end on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm EST. In the comments section below, tell us your favorite ways to enjoy Greek yogurt. One winner will be chosen to receive a package of Chobani Greek yogurt. Each prize package will include 32 oz. containers of 0% Plain, 2% Plain and 0% Vanilla yogurts. The winner will be chosen based on creativity and healthfulness of ingredients. Entries must be gluten free to be eligible. Approximate retail value of the prize is $20.00 + shipping and handling. The odds of winning is determined by the number of eligible entries. The winner will be selected by Thursday, January 19, 2012 and will be announced in a comment on this blog post. Winner’s name can be obtained by visiting the comments section of this post after the winners have been announced. The winner will also be notified by email. In the case that the prize is not claimed within one week of the winner being notified, the prize will be forfeited. Rachel Begun Nutrition Communications, The Gluten Free RD and its associates are held harmless in the event that the prize or sweepstakes in some way negatively impacts the winner or recipient. This contest is being regulated in the state of New York. Void where prohibited by law. By entering the contest, you are agreeing to the Official Rules. Sponsored by Chobani, http://www.chobani.com.
(Disclosure: We received complimentary samples of Chobani’s 0% Plain, 0% Vanilla and 2% Plain varieties of yogurt. We were not paid to write this post. We reached out to dietitians for their recommendations of our own accord.)This entry was posted in Contest/Giveaway, Gluten Free Recipes, Nutrition and Wellness and tagged calcium, Chobani, Chobani Kitchen, contest, dietitians tips, gluten free, Greek yogurt, keeping greek yogurt healthy, probiotics, protein. Bookmark the permalink.← Ten Tips for Eating More Whole Foods in 2012Healthy Living Apps: Recommendations from the Experts →